Stories from the field of conservation

Stories from the field of conservation

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This one is for you, Ralph Lauren

It will be a memorable birthday, as it was likely one of the most unique I have experienced. There were many plans that I was not aware of, many heads coming together for little things that made the night. I am not sure yet what a typical Kenyan birthday celebration would be like, but we went along with the directions from our local friends and hosts. I knew awhile ago that killing a goat was part of it all, and I was most happy to oblige - as eating only wild meat that I know how/where it was killed has become part of me. Although the goat we had was not wild, it did come from Nkori’s batch and observing the treatment of animals here, I was most content to incorporate the goat. The ethics of eating I'll leave perhaps for another blog, a larger one, a book that I'm working on. Till then....

For 5,000 Kenyan shillings, the goat was tied to a nearby shrub in our tent habitat for the day. I took one look at him, and named him Ralph. It was more humane to me to give it a name, though I know you, the reader, is probably shaking your head at me. Sunthar took the name a little further and gave it a last name. The goat became fondly known as Ralph Lauren.

All day long, Kate was happy to remind me which day it was, and either excused me or played it up. Everyone needs a fan like her as it is so easy to let the day just pass quietly, at times regretfully.

Decorations were strung up, unbeknownst to me, as nearby school children had made a colorful sign and streamers. The previous day, other beverage and food supplies were purchased – to an extent I couldn’t have imagined – even inclusive of ingredients for a vegan cake! Big shout out and kudos to all members of the Crew for thinking and organizing this.

The presence of the rangers and tent hosts throughout the night added a certain zing to the conversation – from stories of anti-poaching operations to dancing in a conga line around the cake cutting table. It started off with directing and helping me kill and skin the goat, everyone’s participation was noted and required to give Ralph Lauren the esteem he deserved for being our meal. After slitting the throat at an angle that wasn’t exactly the most conducive for staying clean, I was covered in blood and even felt drops streaming down from my face, off my chin, and down my neck and shirt.

Fully aware of what a sight I must have been, I didn’t really care as Ralph Lauren was now in our hands for preparation – skinning, butchering, and eating of warm raw liver. I’ll leave those to your vivid mind.

And so the rest of the celebrations shall remain a warm memory – if anything for Ralph Lauren – whose hide is now hanging outside our tents for drying and tanning.

6 comments:

  1. So, Happy Birthday! I get the sense now, that if we could kill a goat, you'd let us celebrate your birthday back home here in Canada? Hmm? Maybe you wouldn't. Glad you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little Ralph Lauren. I hope she was yummy though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww, that indeed was a interesting birthday. Little Ralphie never saw it coming. How was it to kill the goat after you had named it? Did u become emotionally attached a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!

    Kevonne - it was on purpose to name Ralph and get attached :) it gives the animal more respect (in my eyes!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra, you have GOT to be one of the coolest chicks ever!

    I love that you named the goat, and gave it a permanent place in your mind. Words have a way of attaching or attacking us, like nothing else can!

    Keep writing! I love it! :)
    Wajma

    ReplyDelete