Stories from the field of conservation

Stories from the field of conservation

Saturday, May 15, 2010

The trek - Toronto to Lewa via Dubai

The trek to Lewa consisted of the following steps:

1) A great flight aboard the giant A380 plane. Contrary to my initial thoughts that the plane would be empty (I was swayed when choosing my seat and noticing that I had a plethora of choices - I guess not everyone takes advantage of the online booking systems!), the plane was full to the max (about 800!!).

2) A night in Dubai with dinner sans alcohol at Arabian nights, and a day exploring a very hot Dubai.

3) A terrible flight from Dubai to Nairobi, which consisted of a back twisting seat and odd tasting food, and curious entertainment (including a drunk passenger demanding more alcohol!). However, the desert scene below was something to see...sand dunes and ridges were just amazing to fly over!

4) A night in Nairobi at the Mvuli House Bed and Breakfast, with fantastic coffee.

5) A 7 hour journey from Nairobi to Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. This 7 hour journey only covered about 200 km!

As I write this blog, I count 13 monkeys scratching, staring (mostly at me and this computer) and 2 now just started playing. Now I see why my dad used to call my sister and I "little monkeys" - sorry Sheila - but we really do resemble them! Darn!!

5 comments:

  1. Wee! You arrived! Seven hours to Lewa, holy monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sandra,
    Your mom was kind to share your blogsite with me. I have one word to say WOW, have always been fan of travelogues and the animal kingdom,now thanks to your vast knowledge will enjoy reading this wonderful journey you are on. We have not seen each other for ages, I must say you have turned into a lovely young woman. We would be very pleased if you visited us sometime. Take good care,big hug,Leyla (Selim's mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leyla
    Thank you for your comment! And for the encouragement to keep writing! Hope all is well with you too!!
    Best,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete