Stories from the field of conservation

Stories from the field of conservation

Monday, May 10, 2010

Welcome!!

Blogging - this is new to me and I hope to make the most of it, or in other words, entertain my readers/followers to the fullest extent!!

If you are reading this, you are probably familiar with my latest project that I am soon, so very soon, about to embark on!! T-minus three days and I will be boarding the A380 outbound for Nairobi, via Dubai. Once in Nairobi, its off again on a 4 hour drive to the wonderful Lewa Wildlife Conservancy where I'll be spending the next three months.

The usual reply from friends and family when I tell them I'm off to Africa for 3 months - is:

"umm, Sandra, you do know there aren't any bears in Africa right?"

(I often wonder - do people actually think I've gone bonkers?).

And I reply: "well not anymore...but...there are rhinos!!".

This usually results in a: "whaaat?" from said inquirer!

In a nutshell (since no one has time for lengthy readings these days and/or I'll lose your attention quickly!)......I am off to Lewa for rhino research and monitoring. I am one of 5 "lucky" (this is debatable?!) students from York University selected to spend 3 months at Lewa, each with our own unique role. From what I understand (things change on the fly in the wildlife world - no pun intended...!!), I'll be spending my time doing various tasks with rhino population and monitoring and hopefully other animals/insects/ and other cool aspects of the natural world! Stay tuned to the blob as things unfold as I get there....! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment